Tuesday, April 21, 2009

One Life, One Chance

This weekend, some what against my will, I attended Chaminade University's Awakening Retreat #21. The theme, One Life One Chance, the experience will last a lifetime. While I cannot devulge any retreat secrets I can tell about my experience.

I swore I would never attend Awakening. After attending and staffing several retreats during high school I had no desire to be a part of another religious retreat. Even though numerous strangers and friends promised the retreat was "spiritual" not "religious" I was still apprehensive. My religious drive had died. I hadn't attended church, except on special occasions and I prayed sporadically. My faith very small and, even though I thought I'd let go of my baggage, retreat taught me I hadn't.

Through a series of talks, activities, and general bonding I was able to let go of my past. Because of retreat I was able to finally put my grandfather's death to rest; a death that occurred nearly 10 years ago. I was able to finally forgive those who had hurt me. My emotional panges melted away in the sheltered coccoon that is St. Stephen's. I learned that I am not alone in my struggles. That others, older and younger than I, shared the same experiences.

This knowledge, this time, experience, came at a time when I really needed a helping hand; even though I didn't know it. If I hadn't been dragged into Kay's office on Monday afternoon I would never have had this experience. I am sincerely glad I attended Awakening #21, One Life One Chance. Even though the final outcome wasn't exactly what I had hoped for, I learned a lot about myself and how to be a better person for others.

I urge all to attended Awakening because "what do we do?", "stuff", "what kind of stuff?", "Fun Stuff!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment